Change the Clock Check the Detectors
On the weekend of March 13, we will be changing the clocks, springing ahead. Please be sure to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, test the alarm, and check the date. Alarms which are dated 2013 and prior should be replaced. Be sure to periodically test your alarms.
Remember. If you alarm sounds, and it is not the end-of-life battery beep, exit your home and call 911. Do not wait, and do not open windows and doors.
EMT’s recognized by CVU Principal
In the Jan 28 issue of CVU Celebrations, Principal Adam Bunting recognized EMT’s who responded to a recent call.
“I wanted to share a poignant moment I witnessed this week. A student from another school experienced a medical event after an evening game. Alarmed by the student’s symptoms, we called 911 (the student is now okay!). Our trainer Somer MacKillop, two members of Hinesburg Fire, and three EMTs responded–every person on scene was a graduate of CVU. While we can’t take credit for their ethic of service (even though I want to:), I was struck by their competence, sense of purpose, and poise on their home turf. As I’ve heard our seniors and juniors panicking about dream schools and GPAs, I remind you that there are far more important things than a perfect summative. When you explore who, how, and what you want to contribute in the world, you’ll find a freedom that transcends accomplishment.”
Are you interested in helping others?
Would you like to make new friends and help others in your community? Would you like to learn more about emergency medical services or firefighting? Then we would like to meet you.
The Hinesburg Fire Department responds to approximately 500 calls for service each year. Whether it is helping with cleanup after a storm, investigating an alarm sounding, treating an injured person, or fighting a fire, we are there to help.
We are always openly accepting applications for our Cadet program (open to all CVU students age 15 years and up), as well as regular Fire and EMS applications! Stop by any time Monday - Friday during business hours, Wednesday nights at 7pm, or email email@example.com for more information.
There were 26 medical calls with 22 persons transported.
Jan 1 5:28am. One car crash at near 14405 Rte. 116. The vehicle had rolled over. There were no injuries.
Jan 2 9:33pm. Smoke alarm sounding on Rocky Mountain Lane. The cause was water from a failed refrigerator leaking through the floor. The power to the area of the alarm was shut off.
Jan 6 7:58am. Mutual aid to Sunset Hill Rd, Williston for smoke in the basement.
Jan 8 12:30pm. Single car crash at Richmond Rd and Jourdan St. The vehicle went off the road and down the embankment. There were no injuries.
Jan 9 8:45am. Single car crash near 8760 Rte. 116. As reported last month, Engine 1 was involved in a single vehicle crash coming down the Rte. 116 hill passed Place Rd West. There were no injuries at either crash.
Jan 12 10:345am. Report of a smell of gas in one of the businesses at 22 Commerce. The building was checked, and nothing found.
Jan 13 2:48pm. Report of someone burning trash in the area of Richmond Rd and Hillview Ter. Nothing found.
Jan 14 8:30am. Public assist at Town Hall.
Jan 14 11:52am. Mutual aid to Shelburne Rd, Shelburne for a report of smoke in a building. Mutual aid departments were cancelled while en-route.
Jan 177:30pm. Car fire on Walt’s Way. The fire was put out by a passing tow truck driver. The fire started while attempting to jump start the vehicle.
Please be sure jumper cables are properly connected and do not leave the vehicles unattended. In most cases, especially in the cold, it only takes a minute or two before being able to start the vehicle.
Jan 18 12:27pm. Public assist for a possible water problem in the area of Hemlock and Chestnut Streets, St George.
Jan 18 5:44pm. Walt’s Way for a CO alarm. Our meter alarmed and showed readings of 100ppm. The residence was ventilated to zero. The cause was a malfunctioning furnace which was shut off.
Jan 18 7:35pm. Assist HPD with debris and traffic control at a motor vehicle crash at Rte. 116 and Silver St.
Jan 21 6:53pm. Investigate possible unpermitted burn in the area of 445 Mechanicsville. Nothing found.
Jan 22 9:49am. Water leak at a residence on Elderberry Lane. The water was shut off in the residence.
Jan 22 11:42am. CO alarm sounding on Burritt Rd. The residence was checked, and no cause found.
Jan 22 8:21pm. Report of gas in a residence. A resident came home and found a stove burner had been left on all day. The burner was shut off and the residence ventilated.
Jan 22 10:15pm. Burst water pipe in a unit at Orchard Hill. Hinesburg Water Dept was requested to respond and turn the water off at the street.
Jan 23 5:57pm Shelburne Falls Rd for a minor motor vehicle crash. No injuries.
Jan 24 10:00am. Lyman Meadows for a possible water leak.
Jan 26 2:26pm. Fire alarm at Kelly’s Field. The cause was found to be burnt food. The smoke was ventilated from the apartment.
Jan 27 6:06pm. One car crash on Charlotte Rd. The vehicle went off the north side of the road. The were no injuries. The road was cleared of trees and debris.
Jan 28 11:05pm. One car crash near 506 CVU Rd. The operator lost control and went into the snowbank, hitting a tree with the back end. There were no injuries.
Jan 31 10:24am. Mutual aid to South Ridge Rd, Shelburne for a structure fire.
Jan 31 6:44pm. Chimney fire at a residence on Rte. 2A, St George. It was reported flames coming out of the chimney. A working incident was toned for Hinesburg. Williston Fire was requested to respond mutual aid with their Ladder.
On arrival, there was heavy smoke showing from the chimney, with intermittent flames. Hinesburg crews laddered the roof, while Williston crews made entry to the residence and wood stove. The fire was contained to behind the stove and chimney. Due to the location of the fire, it took crews time to get to the base of the fire to fully extinguish.
Once extinguished, the residence was ventilated until readings on the CO meter were zero.
Crews were on scene approximately two hours. We would like to thank Williston Fire for their response and assistance.
Be careful with outdoor burning. Keep piles away from structures and low hanging branches.
Please do not forget to call for a burn permit.